Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWPS) – Basic Training
To provide potential operators of specified mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPS) with the information, knowledge and skills required to enable them to operate such equipment safely and effectively.
Prospective candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Be mature
- Able to work at height without difficulty
- Have a reasonable degree of physical fitness and be able to satisfy the requirements set out in the guidelines prepared by the Employment Medical Advisory Service.
- Be over the minimum school leaving age
- Have the necessary mental acuity and learning ability to complete the course
- Have been safety harness trained
Predominantly this is a practical course although some classroom work is involved.
Practical test of basic operating skills, pre-use check and knowledge examination.
Delegate to duration ratios are as follows:
|Course||# OF DELEGATES||DURATION IN DAYS|
Course members who achieve a pass in the practical and the theoretical associated knowledge elements of the examination will be awarded a certificate of basic training.
Please note: The expiration period of this certification is 3 years.
Meeting the needs and expectations of service users is of the highest priority to our staff. Therefore if you have any concerns or wish to make a comment about the service please contact: info@NETA.co.uk
On completion of the course the learner will be able to:
- Operate the MEWP used during training safely and correctly and in accordance with the Manufacturer’s handbook and general accepted good practice
- Clearly understand the causes of instability of the MEWP
- Carry out a routine pre-use inspection of the MEWP
- Completion of training and passing a test on one type of MEWP will not be appropriate for the course member to operate other types of MEWP.
- An operator may only be trained and tested on one machine type. Should they need to operate additional types of machine a conversion course will be required together with a test of operating ability on the new machine type
Conversion timings are as follows:
- 3:1 – 1.5 days
- 2:1 – 1 day
- 1:1 – 0.75 day
- Introduction to the MEWP to be used – controls and instruments
- Moving and stopping the MEWP
- Steering and manoeuvring the MEWP
- Operation of the hydraulic controls
- Parking the MEWP, following correct procedures and precautions
- Vehicle key custody arrangements
- Pre-operation inspection and take-over maintenance
- Replenishing the energy source
- Sitting of the MEWP and use of stabilisers
- Lifting function of the MEWP
- Telescopic/Articulating/Slewing function of the MEWP
- Combined functions of the MEWP
- Operate MEWP over uneven ground
- Emergency procedure – tip over
- Operator’s safety code.
- MEWP capacity and stability