Apprenticeship Levy

The government have set a target of 3 million apprenticeship starts in England by 2020. Because of this, the way apprenticeships are funded has changed.

Some employers will be required to contribute to a new apprenticeship levy which can be accessed to fund apprenticeship training from May 2017.

Not sure if you are a levy payer?

Levy Payers

How much will I pay?

Employers with a wage bill of £3 million or more are required to pay into the apprenticeship levy. You will also receive an additional allowance of £15,000.

For example, if you’re an employer with a wage bill of £3,000,000, your levy sum will be £17,500. You’ll receive an allowance of £15,000 so your annual payment will be £2,750.

These funds will be added to your Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS) account along with a 10% top-up from the government as digital vouchers.

You can create a DAS account here.

As a levy-payer, you can pay for apprenticeship training via your DAS account. Once your digital vouchers have been spent, any additional apprenticeship training will be 90% funded by the government and you will contribute the remaining 10%.

Any un-spent digital vouchers will be lost after 24 months and used to fund apprenticeship training for non-levy paying employers.

You can calculate your annual levy contribution here.

Non-Levy Payers

As a non-levy paying employer, the government will fund 90% of the cost of your apprenticeship training and you will pay the remaining 10%.

If you employ less than 50 members of staff and you recruit an apprentice aged 16-18, your apprenticeship training will be fully funded by the government.

Grant funding may also be available.

Get in touch

If you’re unsure if you are a levy paying employer or would like to discuss how to make the most of your levy contribution, contact a member of the Business Development Unit on or 01642 865 577.